This year’s Somerset Day has been the biggest and best yet!
With events taking place throughout the county, this year over 200 fairs, markets, exhibitions, competitions and tea parties took place to mark Somerset Day, the county’s special day.
Founder of Somerset Day, Nigel Muers-Raby commented, “It’s been a really amazing Somerset Day this year. We’ve had so many people join us, taking great pleasure in organising their own community events, raising money for charity, and generally celebrating everything that’s great about Somerset.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Somerset Day Celebration at Cedars Hall, Wells
- The World Cup of Somerset social media campaign
- Cheese and Cider Night at Wincanton Racecourse
- The Great Somerset Tea Party, organised by St Margaret’s Hospice
- The A-Z Challenge
- Somerset Apple Afternoon Tea at the Castle Hotel, Taunton
- Picture Somerset Exhibition, Langport
- The Mendip Morrismen, Cheese and Cider Tasting at the Railway Inn, Sandford
- Food and Craft Fair, Long Sutton Village Hall
- Eat:Taunton Street Market
- Local Producers Fair, Brean Leisure Park
- Pride of Somerset Youth Awards
- West Somerset Railway Somerset Day Express
And many more…
The media and social media also embraced Somerset Day in 2018 more than ever.
#Somerset Day had a social media reach of over 2 million on 11th May 2018
#Somerset Day was trending for 11 hours on 11th May 2018
Significant coverage on BBC Points West and ITV West Country
Somerset Day featured in a piece on BBC News at Six and Ten O’Clock News
Coverage on BBC Somerset and Heart FM
Coverage in Somerset Life, Western Daily Press, Somerset County Gazette and other regional titles
Needless to say, we’re looking forward to Somerset Day next year, which takes place on Saturday 11th May 2019.
See you then!
If you’d like to get involved in Somerset Day 2019, keep an eye on our website for updates.
Somerset Day is all about community, and we’re so pleased that groups throughout the county have put so much effort into organizing activities that really brought Somerset Day to life in 2018.